June 3, 2008

What do you think of a water bottling plant in Enumclaw?

Are Enumclaw city administrators considering selling our spring water to Nestle Water North America? I wasn't the only one concerned about this bit of news to come out in last weeks Courier Herald. The court house was full last night for the first in what is likely to be a series of public forums to discuss the pro's of selling our precious spring water.



To me spring water is a precious commodity. From the looks of the crowd in the court house others felt the same way. Chris Searcy cited reports that we would be at our "capacity" within 30 years, with or without Nestle coming to town. So what does that mean exactly? I don't know about you but to me 30 years is not a very long time. Unfortunately I didn't have a copy of the charts and pies Chris was reading from nor the handout provided by Nestle from their presentation.



Were any of you at the meeting last night? I came in late and had to leave before the community was allowed to ask questions. What are your thoughts about selling our water to a huge Swiss corporation? Personally I think we need to close the door on those negotiations but since I try to keep an open mind I'll be seeking more information before making my final decision.

I'd love to hear your comments.

3 comments:

Crash said...

I wonder if the aquafir that the City taps is the same aquafir local farmers use?

Most NW Cascade springs that butt against the Cascades are very large underground lakes that are notoriously full, and clean unlike surface water. It needs very little treatment, hence the Talking Rain company tapping in to the spring waters of Preston.

I suppose the true question is, is the aquafir static, or simply projected to not be able to supply demands in 30 years?

I would hope that should such a thing occur that the economic impact would benefit the company with good paying jobs with benefits. I wonder if Nestle could commit to allowing more Enumclaw residents an opportunity to stay home, enjoy its clean water? I wonder if it would help to reduce the fossil fuel consumption from having to commute to Seattle and Tacoma.

On the other hand would it be used only to expand the City coffers while they ship the "said" water to Tacoma anyway?

Just thoughts...

Trina Cassell said...

We need to protect our precious resource. How does one sustain when our water is gone? Everyone needs to read the article in this web address and call their city officials and tell them Nestle needs to take a hike.
http://www.redorbit.com/news/display/?id=1306375 >
Nestle's Thirst for Water Splits Small U.S. Town **
McCloud, a former lumber company town in the far north of California, has
the charm of a small village and a breathtaking setting among pine and fir
trees on the southern flank of Mount Shasta.


** Disclaimer **
RedOrbit is not responsible for the content of this e-mail, and anything
said in this e-mail does not necessarily reflect the RedOrbit's views.

juliemama said...

While I'm not an Enumclaw resident (hello from Maple Valley!), I'm definitely opposed to any Nestle presence anywhere nearby. Many mothers and families have been actively boycotting all Nestle products for over 30 years due to their marketing practices of artificial baby milk. More about the boycott can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestl%C3%A9_boycott